Most people do password-protect to ensure the security of the files and folders containing sensitive information. The confidential information may include private photos, passwords of many files, personal documents, financial records and more. Companies used to have documents with secret information that’s why companies need to password protect their files and folders in Windows.
Moreover, by password protecting their files and folders companies can transfer their sensitive documents more securely. This way two colleagues can access the important files and folders on their computer that other employees can’t. Many of the accounting firms may use password-protected files to share information regarding finance, on the other hand human resource departments use this to share employee records with others if necessary. So, if you’re looking for an article about ‘How do I password protect my files and folders in Windows!’, this one will be helpful for you.
Which software can help you to protect your files and folders in Windows?
Most of the versions of windows including windows 7, windows 8 and windows 10 don’t include the method of password protect your files and folders. Instead you need to use third party programs to secure your documents. A wide variety of software programs are available to choose from. Some of the popular programs most of the people use have given below-
- Folder Guard.
- Protected Folder.
- Disk Utility for Mac.
- Anvi Folder Locker.
- Lock & Hide.
- NEO- Easy Folder Locker.
- EMCO Lock It.
- Folder Locker Pro.
- Quick File Locker.
- Secret Folder.
- Free Hide Folder.
- Encrypt care.
- Wise Folder Hider.
These programs have a good reputation regarding protecting files and folders. Some of these will cost you money where some are free to use. Though they come with different functions, all of them are capable of accomplishing the tasks you want them to. It’s quite impossible to provide instructions on how each of these software programs function. But the article will discuss methods of how do you password protect files and folders in Windows that go with all version of windows and a separate method for Mac.
How to password protect files and folders in Windows?
The meaning of using password to protect your files and folders is that the documents will ask for password if you want to open them. You can also password protect individual files or make a folder for all the important files. The steps need to follow are same for files and folders.
- After opening windows explorer, navigate to the document want to password protect and right click on that.
- Choose ‘Properties’ from the options. A dialog tab will appear, select the general tab.
- On the Advanced button select ‘Encrypt content to secure data’.
- Click ‘Ok’. Here you need to use username and password of your windows.
- To ensure your access, double click on that folder you’ve protected.
Window 8 and Windows 10
It’s not possible to password protect windows 8 and windows 10 without third party software. Either you have to download your desired program or use a zipped folder. If you’ve already selected a software to use, make sure to download it from a reputed secured source. However, password protecting a zipped file is a wise decision in case your version doesn’t allow password protection.
- After opening Windows Explorer, highlight the files you want to put into the zipped file and click the right button on the mouse.
- Choose ‘Send to…’.
- Select ‘Zipped folder (compressed). Name the folder then save it.
- Open the zipped file by double clicking it. Select ‘File’.
- Add password.
- After filling out the required information, click ‘Apply’.
How to password protect the files and folder on Mac?
- Using the search bar, find ‘Disk Utility’.
- Open ‘Disk Utility’.
- From the menu select ‘Image from Folder’.
- Select the file or folder you want to password protect.
- Click ‘Open’.
- Choose the image format you want to have.
- Select ‘read/write’ option as it allows you to add or remove files when necessary.
- Choose an encryption plan to encrypt your folder and then provide a password. Better encryption provides slower access.
- Click ‘Done’.
- Now you’ll see a locked disk image. You can delete the original file as the information is password protected. Just don’t delete the .DMG file accidentally.
Things to remember when password-protecting files and folders.
- A 100% protected file doesn’t really exist. Lots of tools, utilities and instructions are there to break encryption or passwords on file. Though the protection methods that have discussed above provide you the highest security. But if you tend to work with really confidential data, then use a commercial product for protecting your files and folders.
- A password protected file or folder can still be deleted unless the program you’ve chosen doesn’t support the skill to protect files from being deleted. However, having backup of all the password protected files is a good decision.
- If you tend to forget your password, there’s a chance you’ll lose all your important data. You may spend lots of time attempting to break it or pay someone to do so. If you can’t spend that much time behind this matter then you may keep a copy of non-password protected files or folders.
If you share a single computer with your colleagues or others and are concerned about your important data which might get deleted or edited accidentally then providing password to the files will keep it away from any accidents like being viewed or edited. On the other hand your precious computer might get stolen or hacked.
What will you do then? As this device may contain sensitive files, photos or contents. But if your important folders are password protected then none can access them very easily. Overall locking the important folders with a password can help you in the long run. Just go through the information discussed above about how you do password protect the files and folders in Windows.